Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Week That Was

About a month and a half ago, we had a string of what some would call "bad luck." Everything started out fine. Sunday was fun. We spent it at church and at home. We were looking forward to the fair and a week full of overtime. But then, Monday dawned.


I woke Monday morning and went outside to let the chickens out of their coop to find this:

A very large tree branch on a very old elm tree had decided to commit suicide and fell down... kind of. It was still supported by the half of a branch below it and, well, the ground. (For scale, my son in the photo is 46" tall.) The chickens were very confused and immediately ran out, climbed into the leafy mess, and began scratching at it to try and clean it up.

Tuesday I went out to check on the girls before wrangling three boys into leaving for a doctor's appointment when I stopped breathing. Feathers were everywhere and there was a black (and very smug looking) dachshund in the back yard. It took me over an hour to find all of the girls. By the time I found everyone I was hyperventilating. Needless to say, I didn't get to the doctor that day.

I got the call no wife ever wants to get from husband's best friend and carpool partner... the one that starts: "Don't worry. Everyone's okay, but...."

Except our only vehicle was not okay. Both my husband and his best friend missed out on half a day of work, and we didn't have a car for the next two weeks.

After the first three days of the week, I was seriously contemplating not going to the fair on Thursday. (We went, and I got sunburned, but not too badly.) Friday and Saturday were actually enjoyable.

But--despite my ramblings and rantings on Facebook that week--I could (and can) see God's hand of protection in each one of these instances. In fact, it was the only thing that helped me even leave the house on Thursday and Friday. Each one of these instances could have been so much worse.

Monday: Look back at the picture. See the silvery line up in the top right hand corner? That's the power line coming to the house from the alley. It's our house's umbilical cord. The branch that came down was only inches from that power line in life. In its death, it completely missed the line altogether. Five weeks later,

Tuesday: Other than losing some feathers, none of my chickens were hurt. They could have easily all been killed because neither I nor the dog heard their cries of terror. According to the record in the feathers, Aki the Cockerel--who was supposed to be a girl but ended up not being one--fought off the dog while the girls ran for cover. In my panicked, frantic searching, I found him sitting on top of them in a back corner of the coop quietly whispering comforts to the terrified girls. (I love my Aki.)

Wednesday: Obviously, the big thing is that everyone was okay and both cars were repairable. Not only that, but the repairs were only about 75% of the estimate sent to the insurance company. We called to ask about the remaining money and they said it would be okay for us to keep it, which helped us cover 80% of our deductible.

So, that week will always be known as "The Week That Was." It's one to remember, not only because of what happened, but what could have easily happened instead.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. (Psalm 5:11 NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Way to look on the bright side! Praying for better weeks!